Monday, June 22, 2009

First Sunday

Yesterday was my first Sunday as Pastor Becca and what a wonderful Sunday it was. The former music director, Susan, who is a member of the church and currently a music director at a different congregation did a bench exchange (instead of a pulpit exchange) with Bethlehem's music director. Susan brought her band "The Kapella Band" with her and they rocked! The band lead us in music during the prelude, most hymns, offertory, communion and postlude.

There were also many visitors on Sunday, many were band groupies but also two former members who came up from North Carolina and Florida respectively. I believe they were already planning the trip north to visit with friends and family, but they made sure they made it to worship in order to surprise Susan.

After worship, because we are Lutheran, there was a coffee hour, and not just one of those coffee and doughnuts coffeehours but a full spread with salads, quiches, and multiple desserts.

The only bad part of the entire morning was unfortunately my chanting. I'm not a strong singer, I'll sing in a crowd and even kinda loudly, but I don't really sing well and I hardly ever sing by myself. Even if I'm singing along with the radio while walking down the street I'll sing quietly. Well yesterday I thought after hearing many poor singers chant the Great Thanksgiving (the Lord be with you, and also with you, lift up your hearts part) I thought I would give it a shot. Bad idea. Between being nervous since it was my first time presiding at communion (elements were already pre-blessed since I'm not ordained yet) and then added nerves of chanting in front of others and I was slightly stuffy from allergies that I sounded horrible, even to me. But the wonderful people of Bethlehem said nothing to me afterwords about how horrible I sounded. I'm sure the look of disgust on my face at hearing myself made them realize that I knew I sounded bad. So for now, no more chanting. Maybe after a few months of getting comfortable at the altar and practice with the music director I might take another stab at it. Or maybe my chanting voice will forever be retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment