Monday, August 17, 2009

My Frist Wedding

Saturday was my first wedding as an "officiant." I have to put officiant in quote because I am not yet ordained and therefore not yet licensed by the state to preside at weddings. But I did preach at a wedding on Saturday and a priest from a neighboring Catholic Church did the actual officiating, aka legal side.

Overall things went well. There was some tense discussions on Friday at the rehearsal as some members of the wedding party (not the bride and groom) were a little wound up and wanted to get everything correct. As a result I now know that the bride walks down the aisle on the right side so that her dress does not stepped on...and yes this is the opposite side that all the other females walk down the aisle. I also know a few more tips about how to organize a wedding rehearsal which in my experiences in wedding parties always seem to be more chaotic then the wedding itself.

The wedding ceremony went great. There was one really awkward moment at the beginning when the parents missed their musical cue and therefore stood at the back off the church for the entirety of Cannon in D before it was restarted and they were then basically pushed down the aisle. The only other odd moment was when all the Catholics in the church stopped saying the Lord's Prayer at "deliver us from evil" but the programs were printed with the rest of the prayer, and every a witty retort between the priest and I we all continued.

The sermon went really well, lots of laughter and I had many compliments that I captured the essences of the couple. I'm not going to post the sermon since it really was not my sermon but the couple's wedding sermon. I am going to print up a copy on some nicer paper and mail it to them so that they can look back on it in the years to come.

Hopefully all my future weddings go as smoothly as this one, only preferably without the 85 plus degree heat.

1 comment:

  1. What a minute......there is more to the Lord's Prayer after "deliver us from evil"?

    Gee, can you tell I'm Catholic?!

    ReplyDelete