Monday, November 28, 2011

Busy Day, Quite Church

Yesterday we had quite the crowd in worship.  We had about 10 friends and family that were visiting, mainly due to Thanksgiving.  And on top of that we had a baptism which brought in another 20 or so people.  So yes we were a crowded (for us) and busy church.  


However as a result, people were a little shy during the sermon.  Normally I can't get people to be quiet when I open up the opportunity for them to talk during worship, whether it is when I ask them how they have seen God in their lives or during the sermon.  Well yesterday, not so much.  


So I ad libed a lot of my sermon.  I preached on Mark 13:24-37 but mainly on the 31st verse "Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will not pass away."  


Now that there are 30 plus people you don't know that well listening, how do you see Jesus' words, love, grace, mercy and forgiveness not passing away even when things have passed away?  



So the kids were just asked what they want for Christmas this year, but I have a different question now, what did you get for Christmas last year? 

Did it take you a few moments to remember?  Can any of you name more than 3 items that you received?  I’ve been thinking about this all week and I still cannot remember more than a few items that I received from my family and that was even after I looked at the picture from Facebook.

But what do you remember from last Christmas? 

Hmmm memories are longer lasting than stuff, shocking!

In our gospel today, Jesus says: “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.” That the stuff that we are surrounded by whether that is new Christmas presents or family heirloom decorations or even this building and stone – all of that is stuff and it will eventually all pass away.  We will forget what gifts we have received, the decorations will eventually break, this building will some day cease to exist, even the earth one day will be consumed by the sun before it burns out. 

However Jesus’ words will never fade.  The love and grace that is given to us will never cease to exist.  The ways that we experience God through love and kindness from family, friends and even strangers is stronger, longer lasting, than any physical object. 
The water that is poured out upon us at baptism, the water poured on Logan today, will dry up, but God’s love for us as Logan and each of us are claimed as God’s children will never stop. 

How else will Jesus’ words and God’s love last longer than any object, than heaven and earth itself? 

No comments:

Post a Comment