Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hammo Love


The other week, the confirmation kids, Bob and I went up to Hammonasset State Park in Connecticut for the New England Synod youth gathering.  

I went to Teen Encounter Christ as a youth and attended the National Youth Gathering in New Orleans in 1997 so I know how awesome youth gatherings can be.  And while on internship I brought some youth from that congregation to the Southeastern Pennsylvania Synod youth gathering, so I know that they can be a little worrisome for newbies.  But with much encouragement, I got our confirmation students to go and conned Bob into being the male adult.  

When we arrived on Friday, my youth were a little tentative, not getting into the band too much since all the music was new to them.  But by Saturday afternoon they were talking about next year and how they want to come back and bring friends, they were also talking about wanting to go to camp this summer too :-).  

For me the highlight of the weekend was during some congregational time.  I had planned on talking to them about planning their confirmation service, coming up on reformation day.  We talked a little bit about music on the way up in the car, but as we went through the service and what baptismal promises they were affirming, it was so heart-warming to see that they got it.  These two youth really know what it means to love God.  They can identify when faith has been important in their lives.  They can talk about Jesus like a friend.  It was a moment of "yeah this is what it is about!"  

This moment worked in so well with the overall conversation of Hammonasset.  The theme for the weekend was "Loved to Love" and our speaker talked about God love for us enables us to love others.  But the unofficial theme was "Free Hugs" as many people wore t-shirts that said such, God's love allowing them to show a sign of love to others.  I hope you all get a free hug today for we are Loved to Love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment