Monday, January 18, 2010

Go Vikes!

Being from Minnesota I am a Vikings fan. I'm in no way obsessive. I realize that because I don't live in the area (and especially since we do not have a TV) that I'm not going to be able to watch every game. But I try to watch as much as I can online and we have gone to one of the local bars a few times this season in order to watch the Vikes on Monday Night Football.

I have had my ups and downs with the team but I remain loyal. I originally started to really cheer for them in 98 when they went 15 and 1 in the regular season and Gary Anderson did not miss a single field goal attempt the entire season...well that was until the NFC Championship game when the Vikings lost by less than the one field goal Anderson missed.

Since then I went to college in Wisconsin which only increased my Vikings love as I actively participated in the rivalry between the Vikes and the Packers. We would segregate into fan-loyal viewing parties during Viking/Packers game and you could tell what room was cheer for what team by where the cheers came from during various parts of the game.

I then spent 4 long years in Philly dealing with Eagle fans as the Vikings were to put it nicely "re-builiding the team." BTW when the Eagles made it to the Superbowl in 2005 every local news broadcast for the two weeks prior to the Superbowl started with some reporter in Tampa (I believe) discussing the game and what the weather report was in Tampa.

But now the Vikes have made it back to the playoffs with a first round bye and I proudly sat at the bar, with my clerical on (I think I broke some pastoral stereotypes yesterday), routing for my team. And not only did they win yesterday, they CREAMED the Cowboys.

And next Sunday at 6:40 I will again be at the bar, wearing my purple, cheering for the underdogs and the Vikings play again the Saints for the NFC Championship. And hopefully they will not loose by just a field goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment