Saturday, August 14, 2010

Wrestling with The Message

This last week I have been wrestling with the idea of reading this Sunday's gospel, Luke 12:49-56 (NRSV link), from Eugene Peterson's biblical paraphrase The Message.  (Luke 12:49-56, The Message) Normally, Bethlehem uses the NRSV and the verses are printed in Celebrates, a bulletin insert provided by Augsburg Fortress.  The NRSV translation is what I use for biblical storytelling, granted I almost always change a word or two because it is easier to memorize, or I add "Jesus said" or change a pronoun to a proper noun in order to clarify for people who are listening to a portion of the text instead of the full story.  And overall I'm satisfied with the NRSV.  


But I also look that The Message for personal use.  I read from The Message Remix for my personal devotion and bible reading since it reads a little smoother and it has also allowed me not to gloss over the text since it is not the same translation I have heard all my life.  When preparing for my sermons, I almost always read The Message version of my key text in order to gain new insight into the read, (granted I often look at multiple translations and my Precise Parallel New Testament is a wonderful resource for that).  I have even used The Message before in worship, (but it was a youth worship service that while I preached at, I wasn't the main worship planner).  


Overall I find looking at a variety of translations to be helpful in preparing for preaching or general bible study.  


But that is the problem, The Message is not really a translation, more of a paraphrase or transliteration, and even if you call it a translation, it must be prefaced that it is not an accurate nor ever intended to be.  So their is something that holds me back with wanting to bring it into worship.  And even this text is an example, but there it is also an example of why I want to use it in worship.  


So maybe I should start with my specific reasons against using it first.  

  • There are times that The Message changes verses in ways that don't make a lot of sense 
    • For example verse 50 in the NRSV is "I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and what stress I am under until it is completed! " but in The Message is "'I've come to change everything, turn everything rightside up—how I long for it to be finished!"  Those are far from the same verse! 
  • I believe it is important to stick to the Greek or Hebrew.  
    • It we each write our own paraphrase or transliteration we can make the Bible say just about anything that we want.  
  • It seems sacrilegious to change scripture in worship, especially to something that is not a translation.  
  • On a practical level, even though the majority of the congregation does not read along when I say the gospel, for those that do because they listen better that way, I don't want to confuse them by using a different translation, even if I do warn them that what is written is not the same.
But I also have many reasons for using The Message in this case.
  • Verses 54 and 55 are much more "down to earth."  They sound like something people would actually say.  
    • You say "This'll be a hot one" (The Message) not "There will be scorching heat" (NRSV)
  • The descriptive words in verse 51 have more meaning for me.  
    • "Smooth things over and make everything nice" compared to "bring peace on earth" and "disrupt and confront" instead of "division"  
  • The Message is often easier to understand.
    • Such as in the example of verse 50 above, the NRSV takes background information and study to understand while The Message is easier to understand without additional information. 
  • We hear the NRSV so often that it is easier to tune out, glaze over, since we have it partially memorized.  This partial memorization is also why the gospel has less of an impact than it should.  We already know what it has to say.
    • Really this is how I passed Greek so easily in seminary, once I figured out about three words from a sentence I was able to recall the rest of the verse.  
  • I think often The Message keeps to the heart of Gospel message more even if the text is not accurate
    • In last week's gospel, Luke 12:35a is an example of this.  The NRSV's "Be dressed for action" doesn't quiet get to Greek's essence which is more accurately translated "Gird your loins," but The Message's "Keep your shirt on" does keep that essence a bit more.  But notice that neither are an accurate translation.  
  • I kinda want to use The Message in worship primarily because I have been told not to do it! 
Yes I am that kinda of person, do something just because I was told not to.  See I put up on Facebook my dilemma about using The Message, and I got back fairly strongly from my pastor friends to either not do it at all because The Message has no place in worship or to read the NRSV during the normal gospel time and then start off my sermon with rereading any key verses in The Message and maybe say why I like The Message more for that verse.  Well I don't agree with the former and the later seems repetitive and like a lecture in biblical translations instead of a preaching on the text itself.  

But I also asked the same question on chat board on Raverly, an online community for knitters and crocheters that I belong to.  On the chat board, made up of liberal Christians from around the world, many of which are not pastors, the people who replied to my post were divided in their answer (hmm maybe this week's text about Jesus bringing division is at heart here).  Most said that they enjoy hearing from different translations but do like a heads up if it is a different translation than what is printed.  The others said that they prefer a more accurate translations but admit that they have studied Greek and therefore it is important to them.  And one person was absolutely against The Message, saying it inspires revulsion in her.  But there were two people's responses who brought back to me why I'm struggling with this.  

The first said "Jesus used colloquial language. He wanted to be understood. The most important point of the sermon is to be understood." And the second said "Ask God. See what He leads you to do."  Hmm The Message is using colloquial language and is easier to understand than the NRSV at times.  And I must be struggling with whether or not to use The Message because God is leading me to figure out how this text can have the most meaning for the congregation on Sunday.

So what am I going to do?

Well after much internal and external debate, a mini-fight with my husband, asking others, asking God through prayer, thought and reflection, I have decided that I really don't like either translation for use in this Sunday's worship service.  Instead I'm combining the two - yes I know I'm a heretic, I'm sure the bishop's office already knows but in case you would like to report me here is the phone number for the synod office: 508-791-1530.  

So here is my version Luke 12:49-56, a combination of the Message and the NRSV, which will be printed in the weekly announcements so anyone who would like to read along can.  
Jesus said: I’ve come to start a fire on this earth
and how I wish it were blazing already.
 I have a baptism with which to be baptized
and what stress I am under until it is completed!
Do you think I have come to bring peace,
to smooth things over and make everything nice? 
No I tell you.  I’ve come to bring division, to disrupt and
confront. 
From now on, five in one house will be divided,
                Three against two, and two against three
                Father against son and son against father.
                Mother against daughter
and daughter against mother
                Mother in law against daughter in law
                                Daughter in law against mother in law
He also said to the crowds, “When you see a cloud rising
in the west you immediately say “storm’s
coming”  and you are right
And when you see the wind blowing from the south,
you say “There’s going to be scorching heat”
and you’re right. 
You hypocrites and frauds! 
You know how to interpret the appearances of the earth
and sky, the changing of the weather, but why do
you not know how to interpret the present time?”


2 comments:

  1. The second to last point convinced me:

    "In last week's gospel, Luke 12:35a is an example of this. The NRSV's "Be dressed for action" doesn't quiet get to Greek's essence which is more accurately translated "Gird your loins," but The Message's "Keep your shirt on" does keep that essence a bit more. But notice that neither are an accurate translation."

    First, they are both accurate translation into modern, relevant English. However, I would argue that the Message version is a more accurate translation, at least for the time being and to our dialect. One must remember that the most difficult aspects of translation is making it relevant. It requires an understanding of both modern language and culture as well as ancient.

    The Message is not a complete paraphrase so much but a re-translation to a specific dialect that is colloquial American English. While I believe the NRSV is more appropriate more of the time (It reaches a wider audience, though it may miss the point for some in that audience), it is only scholarly arrogance and dogmatism that says one is a "better" translation. They don't even claim to be directed at the same group!

    To be honest, I would love to see a different version of The Message every 10 or 20 years or so, that it may stay relevant.

    The Message is clearer for those speaking modern American English. However, it is not a consensus of scholars. Therefor, I side cautiously with you: Use it when appropriate, when it is clearer to your audience. But use it sparingly out of caution and don't worry about repeating the NRSV out of respect. It's a useless overlap in worship that can actually detract from listening. I don't repeat different translations in writing, if I did it would be waffling. I only justify my choice, which you do in your sermon anyway by simply stating what you get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you were ever reported to your Bishop, but I'm preaching on this text this week, came across your mash up version, and I really appreciate. I am at least thinking it will be part of our sermon group study guides, but probably will also help shape my sermon preparation. Thank you.

    Pastor Ben Squires
    Bethel Lutheran, Gurnee, IL

    ReplyDelete