Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Church Craftiness - Christmas Edition

Yesterday some wonderful volunteers came to help decorate the sanctuary for Christmas worship and I wanted to share some new things with you.

A few months ago the worship committee decided that we would do all white and gold decorations for Christmas this year.  Since then Becky, one of my many church mouses, has been going wild figuring out what that would look like and getting decorations.

One thing that we did was add some Chrismons (ornaments that are white and gold and are symbols of Jesus) to the ones we already had on the tree.  Back in November, we had an Advent Festival and using the patterns from this webiste, the kids cut out the pattern, pasted them on poster board and decorated with glitter, markers and other decorations. Here are close ups of one of the decorations:



Now the tree is full of Chrismons:


We also needed a new banner as the Christmas banner we had was red and green.  I found a piece of fabric in the church basement that once had "Glory to God" on it but at one point the lettering came off and was never put back on, though you could still see the outline of the letters on the fabric.  So off to the fabric store I went for gold and white satin, interfacing and glitter paint.  I used the old banner to cut out the letters as a pattern, ironed the interfacing on the white satin, cut out the letters and ironed the letters onto the gold satin and outlined in glitter glue.  Not a single stitch on the entire thing (though I think once it comes down this year I will sew the top loop that the pole goes through.)




In the midst of all the decoration ideas, Becky got into bow making for the wreaths.  With the help of a bow maker it didn't take that long.  But they were also remarkably simpler to make than I thought.  But my camera batteries died yesterday so it didn't store the picture that I took, so I will add one later.

There are still a few more things that need to be done (wrapping the fake red candles in white or gold, putting out the poinsettias and put fake candles in the windows).  But the church is starting to look beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment