Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What I Have Learned from Biblical Storytelling

It has been a little over a year since the first Sunday that I memorized the gospel and told the story instead of read it and I have learned a lot about storytelling, the bible, ministry and myself during that time.  Here are seven of the top things that I have learned.

It doesn't take a lot of time but makes a big impact
Most weeks I can start memorizing on Thursday and be fine.  Really maybe a hour on Thursday, normally done while driving (yes I have a copy with me and read at stop lights then practice while moving), and another half hour on Saturday as I practice both the gospel and my sermon.  Plus maybe once or twice on Friday and Sunday morning while getting ready for the day.  And yet these distracted few hours are probably the most important to conveying the good news to people in the pews on Sunday as through storytelling people retain the story more than if I had just read the story.

I don't have to follow the script nor should I stand still.
At first I worried about getting every word exactly as they are written in the NRSV translation that is printed in our bulletins.  But as people have started to put their bulletins down to hear the story instead of read along, I have become more flexible in changing words because the phrasing in the NRSV is just not natural in my lexicon or in order to emphasis a phrase.  I have also started to move around more using the entire area in front of the altar.  Standing in different spots for the different characters, hand gestures and facial expressions have become just as meaningful in telling the story as the words and vocal inflections.

There is actually a lot of humor in the bible
I grew up in congregations that were fairly causal in style and laughter and clapping were commonplace.  But I can't remember ever laughing during a scripture reading.  And yet the scriptures are full of moments that are meant to be laughed at.  Just this last week's gospel in John 9 when the man born blind and the pharisees are going back and forth in verses 24-34 about what happened to the man born blind, there is a sense of humor that happens when the man asks if the pharisees want to be Jesus disciples or when he tells them "that the amazing thing, you do not know where Jesus is from and yet he opened my eyes."  And it is not just humor that comes across more through storytelling but also sorrow, grief, shock, and much much more.

The bible is open to interpretation
Well duh!  Anyone who has ever study the bible for more than a minute can tell you that.  But just like all forms of written word, emails and blogs included, the emotions do not always translate.  This coming Sunday's gospel has Thomas saying "Let us also go, that we may die with him."  I always thought Thomas said this in bravery but what if he said it sarcastically?  Just the tone of voice when a person is speaking can change the meaning of the text.

The impact is greater that you can ever expect
Biblical storytellers are rare.  I never heard or heard of anyone who memorize the text before I went to baby pastor school last year.  Most weeks I get at least one person who says something to me about they don't know how I memorize the text.  Visitors almost always do a double take as they are reading along and look up and realize I'm not in the pulpit.  Kids get excited to hear the gospel.  I have even been applauded a few times. There is a new energy, a new life at Bethlehem that I think really does come from this core of excitement from the gospel, which starts from really hearing the gospel.

Jesus was a storyteller
Recently in preparing for a confirmation lesson on the parables, I realized that Jesus was a storyteller.  He told these stories to his disciples and other followers and he probably told them more than once.  I picture Jesus sitting around a camp fire with the disciples on in a house that he is visiting and teaching about God but also sharing stories.  Retelling the time he walked on water or recounting the stories of Abraham, Moses or David from the Hebrew Scriptures.

We are all storytellers
We all have stories.  We tell stories about ourselves to get to know people.  We tell stories to share morals.  We tell stories for entertainment.  Everyone has a story to tell.  And we naturally want to repeat the good stories.

These are just a few things that I have learned over the last year.  This has been an exciting development in my ministry and I don't think I'll be going back to reading the text on a regular basis anytime soon.

For more information on biblical storytelling check out gotell.org or the Network of Biblical Storytellers website and youtube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment