Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ashes, and Excitement

Yesterday I saw God at Bethlehem's Ash Wednesday service.  As I placed ashes on people's foreheads and hands and reminded them that they are dust and to dust they shall return, I was touched by the humanity of the moment.

And God was also present in the kids present.  I forgot to put yesterday's service on the list for people to sign up for worship assistants and our regular fill-ins were not there.  So during the sharing of the peace I asked to young brothers if they would do the offering.  They were so excited and ran up to get the offering plates and later ran up to the altar for communion.

And God was also in the choir anthem.  A seminary friend calls Ash Wednesday a funeral for everyone, well we kinda had a New Orleans funeral with a wonderful jazzy anthem.  It always amazes me what great sounds come out of our small choir as they share God's love through song.

No comments:

Post a Comment