Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Spreading the Love

The more I reflect on where I've seen God's love, the more places I see it, both in people's actions and words and also in things and moments.  Yesterday I saw God in both, but especially the former.

My day started with a phone call from a parishioner who was going to stop by on her way to work to drop of meals for me to deliver later in the week.  This past fall we started delivering meals together, mainly to homebound members, but to any member that could use a meal in order to have one less thing to think about. This member has made meals about once every month or two and really looks forward to visiting with me.  However she got a job recently (YAY) and therefore not able to join me.  It was still such a show of God's love that she still prepared a meal even if she didn't have time to deliver them.

In the afternoon I delivered the food to two homes and was able to stay and chat for a bit at each.  The husband at the second home I went to paid me a wonderful compliment when he said "even though I don't get there often, I'm so glad you came to Bethlehem."

I also found out that one of my cousins just got engaged.  I'm really excited for him and his new fiancĂ©e.  They are both wonderful people full of joy and happiness for life and I'm happy to know they are getting married.

In the evening Bob and I watched Everything is Illuminated as suggested to us by Netflix.  It was such a great movie with a heart warming story of people finding their past and illuminating the future. It is one of those movies that you just see God in as people discover themselves and interpret what love means.

As I was falling asleep last night, cuddling with Bob (yes we were cuddling) I just had this moment of clam and thanksgiving for all that I had been given.

But probably the most exciting thing for me personally, while not the most God-filled but the most "yes I'm doing something right here" moment was that one parishioner called and another emailed me yesterday.  Both contacted me to tell me that they read my sermon, neither were in worship on Sunday, and they both loved it and thought it was an incredible message they are sad that they missed the delivery.    Yeah that boosted the ego a bit  But considering that as I got up to start the gospel on Sunday, I was nervous because I know that telling people not to worry is not always the most well received message, I am thrilled and filled with God's love knowing how well people have heard it.

Where are you seeing God's love?

No comments:

Post a Comment