Monday, March 21, 2011

Playing Catch Up Again

Here it is, another Monday and I have not posted where I have seen God this weekend.

On Thursday morning I thought for sure that my God moment would be at the conference I attended that Martin Marty was the speaker.  And yes God was there, and it is always amazing to sing with a room full of pastors. But the moment that really struck me was that evening at Stitch and Bitch.  One of my friends was talking about a new adventure her and her husband will be taking though I don't want to give too much information right now as they are still hammering out the details and it is still in the early stages.  We ended up talking about vocation and how I know that this new chapter in their lives is his calling and passion and how excited I am that he will be able to pursue his vocation.

Friday was a gorgeous spring day, though it was still technically winter (and today, though technically spring, looks much more like winter).  Bob and I took the dogs to a park that we have been meaning to go to since pretty much we moved to Georgetown.  There are a bunch of trails including one that loops around a pond.  Daisy was so excited to go swimming and Koko even ended up completely in the water at one point when she though she was stepping in but the bottom dropped off on her.  Seeing the dogs being able to play and swim was like watching God laugh.

Saturday was Worship Together and a planning meeting with two high school students to figure out the start of a youth group.  During our conversation, I was so amazed at these to youth who decided not just to do a youth group but they wanted their younger siblings and some of the other younger kids in the congregation to participate, so instead a family fun and service group will be born.  The first event?  Those two high school students are going to lead crafts during an Easter Festival after worship on Palm Sunday.  God is very present in those two and I have been so spoiled having my first confirmation class consist of two students that not only still stick around church after being confirmed but also want to plan new things to get others involved.

And yesterday God was most definitely at worship.  For a few months now, ever since I stole the idea from the pastor at the church my nephew was baptized at, I have asked the congregation "Where have you seen God this week?"  I ask this at the end of announcements before the confession or remembrance of baptism and have found it to be a great transition to a more worshipful mindset.  Normally one or two people answer with a quick story about their week and how God was there.  Yesterday one of the mom's told about how in Worship Together the day before there was a moment when I was surrounded by the kids telling them the story and the light shown through the stain glass window and it was just a perfect moment.  Then another woman said how that morning getting readying, she heard God in the birds that were singing outside her window.  Then a man said how he saw "God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, May and all the disciples" when he hit black ice on his way to work and did a 360 on a busy road, but God was with him as no cars were coming the opposite direction.  Then someone talked about how they didn't want to go to bible study this week but ended up going and was so blessed by the congregation.  Then another person told of taking her dog to the beach and seeing God in God's creatures.  Then a woman who is a nurse talked about a patient who is in his 90's and his wife of 70 years showing love to each other and the hospital staff.  And then Bob talked about a guy at the shelter who just got a job that was better than the job he was passed over for the previous week because he did not have a car.   So in case you are keeping count that was seven stories!  SEVEN!  And not only did I hear of God in every one of them, I also saw God working in Bethlehem as people have started to share how God's love and abundance is working through their lives.  Truly God is at work at Bethlehem!

No comments:

Post a Comment